For an on-going project, GITEC-IGIP is looking for an experienced Rural Engineer (f/m/d) with specialisation in construction and management of soil and water conservation, irrigation as well as rural roads and regional experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
|Country / City||Project Start||Duration||Deadline|
|Ethiopia / Oromia region||On-going, assignment start as soon as possible||9 person months over a project period of 5 years||Latest by 31 March 2019 / until filled|
About the company
GITEC-IGIP Holding SE with the two managing companies GITEC-IGIP GmbH and IGIP mbH is a leading consulting company for development aid projects. For over five centuries, GITEC-IGIP and IGIP characterise professional experience, activities on four continents, a multi-cultural team as well as a world-wide network of companies and offices in close proximity to customers. In the framework of international development aid our companies lead mainly publicly financed projects. We are constantly looking for high-profile consultants. For more details, please visit our web sites at: www.igip.com and www.gitec-consult.com.
The project, funded by KfW, aims for reducing land degradation in agricultural landscapes, stabilizing and restoring parts of the affected landscape and improving the agricultural productivity of smallholder farmers leading to the protection and / or restoration of ecosystem functions and improved food security. The project focuses on the implementation of integrated watershed and landscape management at grass root level.
The implementation of this project follows the widely applied Community Based Participatory Watershed Development Guideline (CBPWDG) issued by the MoARD in 2005, the harmonized SLMP log frame and the existing SLM PIM.
Your Main Duties in this Position
- Produce and implement protected area infrastructure and equipment development and maintenance plans according to GMP priorities
- Rehabilitate or build priority infrastructure needed (tender, supervise contract awards, overview construction works)
- Lead, guide and train the team in:
- Assess and report on progress and constraints, opportunities and sustainability and (financial) feasibility of project infrastructure measures
- Improve working practices and procedures to strengthen quality assurance of rural infrastructure and monitoring, also considering the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) as appropriate
- Ensure the sustainability of the investments by means of meaningful exiting plans and the preparation of feasible operation and maintenance plans
- Support the development of a multi-year action plan, with annual work plans, budgets and procurement plans
- Expand the scope of rural infrastructure for livelihood support (e.g. small-scale-irrigation, drinking water, rural access roads, market access)
- Monitor overall compliance with approved work plans
- Improve rural infrastructure planning: selection of sites, design, costing, monitoring and access to information
- Integrate and harmonise with the operating principles of the national plan
Your Educational Background
- Master or equivalent Engineering degree in Agricultural or Rural / Water Engineering or another relevant study field
Your Expertise / Profile
- Min. 15 years’ experience in programme design and implementation
- Strong understanding of planning and implementation or rural infrastructure
- Proven record in delivering high quality outputs on time and on budget for financial cooperation financed projects
- Familiar with participatory approaches to project planning, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent communication skills
- Long-standing work experience with projects and programmes financed by international development agencies
- Experience with projects and programmes financed by KfW
- Relevant country and regional experience
Time Schedule / Duration of Assignment
The project is on-going and will run for another five years.
The duration of your assignment in this role is set for 9 person months over the entire project period; the exact assignment times are subject to project needs.
If you are interested
Please send us an email containing your most recent English CV including full contact details, fee expectations (per day / per month) and details on availability
Quoting the Job ref. no.: RESRI-ETH-02.2019
Or apply online via the Application-Form in the section below.
Please note that we can only consider candidates who meet the required criteria!